Anxiety And Grief

Anxiety can hit you when you least expect it, grief can be one cause of unexpected Anxiety. There are different ways to control your Anxiety including natural remedies, therapy and medication. Although I believe in natural remedies, along with therapy there are times when you need more some people need to turn to medication.

I am adding a short story here from a very good friend of mine, who suffered a loss and found herself not only having to deal with her loss, but also she had to deal with Anxiety And Panic Attacks.

Grief brings about the worst case of anxiety and panic.  Losing a loved one creates a feeling of loneliness that brings about pain and anxiety when just thinking about the loss.

 I lost my husband of eight years nine months ago.  The week of his death, I felt so alone and so lost, but deep down inside I knew what I had to do.  I did not concentrate on myself.  I devoted all of my time to taking care of my husband.  I had to make sure he was taken care of in the best way possible and in the way I knew he should be taken care of.  Everything had to be just right for him; just as he had made sure I was taken care of during the eight years we were together.

    After his funeral, I then concentrated on me.  What am I going to do without him?  Where am I going to live without him?  How can I go on without him?  These questions flowed through my mind constantly.  I knew that my husband was a Godly man, so I picked myself up and strengthened my faith and relied upon my Creator, just as my husband taught me to do.

 As I was packing our belongings and cleaning the house we had just moved into not quite two months before his death, I realized that although I lost my right hand, my friend, my soul mate, my rock, my inspiration and my teacher, I have to go on living.  Also, during those weeks, I did not grieve for my loss.  The tears dried up after I found him lifeless and the paramedics told me that he died quickly and without pain.  I found comfort knowing that he did not suffer.

I moved in with my youngest sister after my husband’s death and here is where the anxiety and pain started.  It started with periods of outbursts and tears.  (I still have those days of uncontrollable tears.)  Then the time came that I could not eat, sleep or breathe.  I remember one Sunday that I could not take anymore of this.  I drove to my husband’s grave and talked to him through my tears.  I told him that he always told me it was his job to take care of me and I needed him to get the grief out of me.

This might sound crazy but he told me to go to the doctor.  I called the doctor the next day and got an appointment for Tuesday.  She was very sympathetic and explained to me what I was going through.  She told me I was experiencing panic and anxiety attacks and I needed to get my nerves under control.  She prescribed medications for me and I have been able to cope with my loss.  No - the medication has not stopped me from missing my husband but it is controlling the anxiety and panic attacks.  I am able to sleep, to eat,  and I am breathing normally.

The best advice I can give to anyone experiencing anything like this, go to the doctor.  It is not something that you can handle alone or on your own..

By Mary Mason Shields.....

Thank You Mary I know it wasn't easy writing this.